Friday, October 12, 2012

 

Cock Robin - the band

Here is another entry that has nothing to do with Galicia or any comparison between it and the UK. However for once it shows a rare failure in British (and American) music fans to spot a great band.

The wonders of youtube.com
I seem to spend more and more time on youtube.com. This despite the fact that I hate computers (even though I make my living through them).

I also detest mobile phones and consider them the single biggest human disease, and my feelings for other recent technologies are the same.

This is not born out of ignorance, I am highly qualified (actually in IT) and I use these “aids” on a daily basis – I was even next door sorting out my neighbours PC last week – There is no escape from things that use chips.

However, I can “almost” forgive IT driven technology when I turn back time and explore the millions (or so it seems) of music videos on youtube.

Cock Robin

The prompt for this post is my discovery of a band that I had long since forgotten about and who only enjoyed one minor UK and (albeit a different song) one minor US hit single.

They were/are called Cock Robin and they had a song called “The promise you made” back in the mid 1980’s. For some reason it came into my head earlier this week and I hunted for it on the aforementioned website.

When I found the song I realised that they had many tracks on youtube (thank you SonyBMG) and, with a little research, it quickly became apparent that, although missing the mark in English speaking territories, they were very successful in mainland Europe (apologies for the long sentence).

So, following up on that, here is a link to what I think is their best song (and I have listened to them all): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4JVUBXuVRA .

And to those comment makers on youtube who hate the female singer I can confirm that:


1. She does have a great voice.
2. Yes she does get very dramatic and she even bows at the end of a video – so what!
3. Maybe she did age in to a fat old woman by 2004. But in the videos for the 2006 album she is slim and almost unchanged in 20 years.
4. And, for what it is worth, the male singer has an incredible voice and the bass playing is sublime.


How did this band manage number one albums in Europe but do nothing in the UK and their USA homeland – it beggars belief?

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?